Add barley straw minibales to the pond now to keep it healthy this Spring.
Treat your pond with barley straw this Valentines Day!
Your pond may start to go green soon with algae or blanketweed after such a mild Winter:
- Add the first of this year's barley straw minibales now for it to become activated before the surface of the water warms up
- Barley straw is an organic method of algae control - safe for wildlife, pets and plants
- Barley straw minibales need a month to activate so put them into the water now so they are ready before more sunshine.
- Remove any old minibales from last year and throw onto the compost heap
- Barley straw minibales should not sink to the base of the pond so ours have a small float attached
- They can be tied near a waterfall or pump outlet so they are constantly being moved around by the water flow
- They will need changing after 6 months so keep a second bale dry if not using both from the pack and add the second in July to activate
- Remove any used barley minibales in August after the months overlap
Click to Buy Barleystraw minibales now.
- Both these products are organic and safe for wildlife, pets and plants. BarleyBio has the addition of beneficial enzymes.
- These liquid concentrates work more immediately and do not need to be added a month in advance.
- Buy now and start to use the necessary measurement for your pond volume fortnightly from March.
- Use the timing of the clocks going back/forward as your reminder to start/stop usage.
- Increase dosage to weekly when the weather warms.
- If your pond seems to be resistant to one product change to the other as they work differently
For more information visit our Tips and Advice pages: Blanketweed and algae control