Rescue Native Hydrocharis morsus-ranae - Frogbit in Autumn.
This plant is starting to break down now and the dormant buds will drop off the leaves to the base of the pond or container pond. The buds will remain at the base of the pond or container pond throughout Winter to avoid frost and ice. They will regrow next Summer.
Frogbit in Autumn maintenance:
- Remove some Frogbit plantlets now while you can still see them.
- Put them in a bucket for safety until you have finished your Autumn maintenance.
- These buds are 5x10mm or 1/8" x 1/4" and remind me of apple pips.
- You can easily lose the buds during the Autumn maintenance programme.
- Dredging away part of the silt from the base of the pond with a net takes them away buried in the mud.
- Reintroduce the buds to the pond after maintenance is over.
Keep the back up supply safe:
- In the Nursery we put a large sign in the bucket or we find someone helpful tries to tidy up!
- The bucket of water standing in the corner gets thrown out! Along with the tiny dormant buds!