Rescue Native Hydrocharis morsus-ranae - Frogbit in Autumn.
This plant is starting to breakdown now and the dormant buds will drop off the leaves to the base of the pond or container pond. The buds will remain at the base of the pond or container pond throughout Winter to avoid frost and ice. They will regrow next Summer.
Frogbit in Autumn maintenance:
- These buds are 5x10mm or 1/8" x 1/4" and remind me of apple pips.
- The buds will be easily lost during the Autumn maintenance programme
- When you dredge away part of the silt from the base of the pond with a net they will be buried in the mud
- You will throw them away with the mud and use it as a mulch.
- Remove some Frogbit plantlets now while you can still see them
- Put them in a bucket for safety until you have finished your Autumn maintenance
- Keep the back up supply safe.
- Reintroduce the buds to the pond to settle again on the bottom for Winter after maintenance is over.
In the Nursery we put a large sign in the bucket or we could find someone helpful tries to tidy up! The bucket of water standing in the corner gets thrown out! Along with the tiny dormant buds!