Take the old barleystraw minibale out of the pond now.
If you added a new Barleystraw minibale last month then now is time the old one is removed.
- The new minibale will have activated in this weather
- the old one will only start to rot down and go black and smelly if left in any longer
- If you have forgotten to add the new barleystraw minibale then do so as soon as possible and remove the old one a month later.
Barleystraw is an organic method of treating the pond water that inhibits the growth of green algae, prevents pond water turning green and stops stringy blanket weed from forming.
It is recommended to float the minibale in an area of the pond where there is the most water flow (tie it near a pump outlet or waterfall) as this will help the barley straw treat the entire pond.
Small ponds or container features:
- continue to add Barley Bio Algae Control to your water, weekly, during the hot weather of Summer.
- increase dosing frequency, not the dose size in this hot weather.
Remember in all water areas you need to get the balance of plants right too: