Take the old barleystraw minibale out of the pond now.
If you added a new, barleystraw minibale last month then it is time the old one was removed.
- The new minibale will have activated in this weather
- the old one will only start to rot down and go black and smelly if left in any longer
- If you have forgotten to add the new barleystraw minibale then do so as soon as possible and remove the old one a month later.
Barleystraw is an organic method of treating the pond water that inhibits the growth of green algae, prevents pond water turning green and stops stringy blanket weed from forming.
It is recommended to float the minibale in an area of the pond where there is the most water flow (tie it near a pump outlet or waterfall) as this will help the barley straw treat the entire pond.
Small ponds or container features:
- continue to add Extract of barleystraw to your water, weekly, during the hot weather of Summer.
- increase dosing frequency, not the dose size in this hot weather.
- Or change to Barley Bio Algae Control which has a different action that may help if you are fighting a losing battle.
Remember in all water areas you need to get the balance of plants right too -