Know your garden pond size? Find the matching Planting Scheme and we choose your collection of plants:
|Pond size in sq m||Pond size in sq ft||Go to Pond Scheme|
|1 - 2||9 - 20||size 1|
|2 - 3.9||21 - 41||size 2|
|4 - 6.9||43 - 65||size 3|
|7 - 14.9||75 - 160||size 4|
|15 - 25||162 - 236||size 5|
Each Planting Scheme or starter pack can be chosen as 'British Native plants only', 'Mainly British Native plants' or 'Any plants from our range'.
Each Pond Planting Scheme contains:
- oxygenating plants - sent without a basket to drop into the pond water
- potted rafting shelf plants to cover the water surface horizontally
- potted emergent water plants to grow upright out of the water
- Larger Pond Planting Schemes than size 1 also contain Waterlilies.
For a wildlife pond size:
- 1-2sq m (9-20sq ft) pond area - go to Pond Scheme size 1,
- 2-3.9sq m (21-41sq ft) pond area - Pond Scheme size 2,
- 4-6.9sq m(43-65 sq ft) pond area - Pond Scheme size 3,
- 7-14.9 sq m(75-160sq ft) pond area - Pond Scheme size 4
- 15-25 sq m(162-236 sq ft) pond area - Pond Scheme size 5
The plants chosen give:
- spread of foliage and flower interest across the seasons
- choice of heights and growth types to give the pond balance.
- help to keep the pond healthy and encourage a wide variety of wildlife into the area.
Also available are Muddy Bog Planting Schemes for waterlogged soil and Moist Planting Schemes for areas that retain dampness for 1 square metre of soil area.
Creating Wildlife habitats:
- Plants to encourage Newts - newts lay eggs in April to June on small leaved plants - Myosotis scorpioides, Veronica beccabunga, Mentha aquatica, Rorippa nasturtium aquaticum.
- Plants to encourage Dragonflies and damselflies - larvae need oxygenating plants as cover and upright, emergent plants to climb up to become adults - iris varieties, Alisma plantago aquatica, Butomus umbellatus, Cyperus varieties, Lythrum salicaria, Hesperantha coccinea, Pontederia varieties
- Plants to encourage pollinators - these can be pond plants or plants around the edge of the pond in the wet muddy zone or the damp soil. Popular with insects, butterflies and bees - Caltha palustris, Butomus umbellatus, Iris varieties, Ranunculus flammula, Mentha varieties, Pontederia varieties, Lythrum salicaria, Myosotis varieties. Moist area pollinating plants - Eupatorium canabinum, Geum rivale, Primula varieties, Iris varieties
- Use our Category filter - 'Plants for Wildlife' to pick out plants for each category of wildlife.