Shelf Pond plants
Plants for ponds for sale ready to be placed on marginal pond shelf - already potted in mesh baskets & aquatic soil for you.
|Symbol||Shelf depth in cm||Shelf depth in inches|
|wet mud||wet mud|
|13 -15||5 - 6|
|15 -22||6 - 9|
|23 - 44||10 - 17|
|45 +||18 +|
Marginal shelf plants for ponds:
- Can be upright (emergent) or horizontal (rafting) across the water surface.
- Potted aquatic marginal pond plants will quickly add foliage, colour and habitats for wildlife to the edge of the pond area
- Place 3 x 1 litre baskets per metre length on a marginal pond plant shelf
- Use more marginal pond plants if the shelf is wide or if a full look is required quickly.
Water depth is vital to marginal shelf pond plants:
- Place pond plants on the pond shelf at the correct depth for each plant variety
- The depth required is on the ticket received with each plant type sent by us as depth over the top of the basket.
- Too deep and marginal plants will not thrive, too shallow and other marginal plants will not receive the ice protection they require.
If you are planting a new pond you also need Oxygenating plants which grow under the water & Water lilies for the water surface. Or you can choose a Pond Planting scheme where we choose the plants for your pond for you.
Our Plants for Pond Marginal Shelf areas come to you ready rooted in a mesh basket with aquatic compost for easy planting onto a Marginal Planting Shelf:
- Before you build a pond you should take into account the depths of water preferred by different Marginal pond plants and ensure you create the right depth marginal shelving into your pond construction.
- See the Build a Pond section on the Tips and Advice pages for more information.
To find plants for ponds suitable for your existing pond you can use our Plant Finder or the filters:
- We have divided our marginal pond plants into shelf ,,according to the depth of shelf they require.
- Some plants can handle a variety of marginal shelf depths.
- All potential marginal shelf depths are shown on the More Information page for each plant with all its details or on the tickets sent with each plant.
Planting in a wet, muddy, waterlogged, boggy area
Use pond plants of the category:
- These plants can stand with their roots in wet soil as well as on a shallow shelf of water at the pond edge
- Their crowns are capable of exposure to frost and ice on the mud surface.