Our seed grown plants are already growing for the coming season. We grow our pond plants from our own stock plants from cuttings or by divisions as well as from seed.
We are a small family plant nursery based in Leicestershire, UK, committed to being as sustainable and environmentally friendly as possible.
- Our Plant Passport Registration is in place as per the new legislation of 14 December 2019 to help with Plant Health & disease control. This system will enable the tracing back of a plants' history.
- By 'Growing our Own' we keep the carbon footprint of our plants small and the risk of importing pests & diseases to a minimum. We buy very few plants.
Growing from seed:
- We collect our own seed on the Nursery when it is ready as each plant naturally produces it.
- Seed grown plants take the longest time to become mature and ready for sale.
- We have already planted many seed trays for next year and some have germinated and the seedlings moved on into 7cm pots.
- The new young plants overwinter in unheated poly-tunnels before hardening off outside in Spring.
- Transplant the young plants into their final mesh basket for despatch later in the season.
- The plants ready for despatch in early Spring were seeded down and processed from seed to final basket during last year.
- Our Plant Passport Registration is in place as per the new legislation of 14 December 2019 to help with Plant Health & disease control through the traceability of the plants' history.
We have a constant turn around of our own seed grown plants. See our list of seed grown varieties in the table on our Pond Propagation page.
There is nothing more satisfying than creating a new plant from a seed!
In February some of these small plants photographed in January will be ready to move into a larger 11cm basket.
Cuttings and divisions are produced in warmer weather and grow into mature plants more quickly than seed grown plants. These will be started when the weather warms a little.