Potted Waterlilies travel well now because growth started this Spring is still small & well below the water surface.
Each leaf on a Pond waterlily may only be 1 -2" wide. An early miniature waterlily leaf may only be half an inch across.
- The lack of growth seen when the waterlily arrives with you is not a problem but an advantage.
- There is less plant material to get damaged in transit as there are shorter leaf stems or flower buds extending from the basket.
- We do not have to remove growth forthe waterlilies to travel to you so it has not had wasted effort.
- When you put the waterlily basket into your pond you can do so at its proper depth.
- The small, furled leaves will continue to travel upward in one smooth journey to your surface area as soon as weather allows when you place them in your pond.
- They will reach the surface & open flat just the once in a season.
- This allows the plant to conserve energy (and flowering potential).
So it is the ideal time for us to transport waterlilies to you.
Waterlily travel & delivery later in the season:
- Then you have to position the plant in the pond according to the existing length of the leaf stems we have left on during packing.
- Longer leaves will be removed to avoid damage in transit.
- The remaining leaves should be placed to float on or near water surface.
- This may not be the depth you ultimately want it in your pond.
- Leave near the surface for the rest of the season but move to a lower level in Autumn.