Water Hawthorn (Aponogeton distachyos) are available for sale again now.
- They are rooted and ready to go out to you looking like the planted 15cm basket in the photo above.
- Please use this button to go and Buy now.
- Plants grow from approx a 60cm(2ft) depth of water and send their leaves and flowers up to the water surface in Spring. Just like a waterlily will in the Summer months.
- They complement the waterlilies in a pond as they both occupy the same area of water but at different times of the year.
- Water Hawthorn give an extended season of leaf cover over the top of the pond.
- Plants can flower between March to May and are sending up leaf stalks and flower buds already.
- These plants will quickly come back again even if the top growth gets caught in the ice of a cold snap.
- Their white flower has the fragrance of Hawthorn blossom.
- After May the warm water will send them dormant.
- In a shadier spot they will last longer in leaf and flower as they are in cooler water.
- In Summer - they are like a daffodil bulb. Once flowering is over they disappear from view. But they are not dead - 'just resting'.
- Don't throw the basket away!
- Aponogeton distachyos can regrow and flower again October - November.
- If you already have a Water Hawthorn in your pond - feed it now when actively growing and it will respond well.
We only have Water Hawthorn for sale online for a limited time in the year because of their dormancy period.