Water Hawthorn (Aponogeton distachyos) are available for sale now.
These plants grow from approx a 60cm(2ft) depth of water and send their leaves and flowers up to the water surface in Spring just like a waterlily would do in the Summer months. They complement the waterlilies very well in a pond as they both occupy the same area of water but at different times of the year – they help to give you an extended spread of cover over the top of the pond.
- Water Hawthorn flower between March and May and are sending up leaf and flower stalks at the moment.
- Even if the top growth gets caught in the ice of a cold snap and dies back these plants will come back again from the deeper water basket
- They will flower until May then warmth will send them dormant.
- They will last longer in leaf and flower if you can place them in a shadier spot, in cooler water
- In Summer – they are like a daffodil bulb. Once flowering is over they disappear from view, but they are not dead – ‘just resting’. Don’t throw the basket away!
We only have the Water Hawthorn for sale for a limited time in the year because of their dormancy periods. We will sell out by April/May.