How to choose the best pond plants for your pond?
Knowing which pond plants you like the look of is easy. Choosing the best combination of pond plants for seasonal interest and for the wildlife is more tricky.
Our selection of the best pond plants and our reasons for including them in your wildlife pond:
- Ceratophyllum demersum (Hornwort) the best all year round British Native oxygenating plants. Drop into deep water area
- Myriophyllum spicatum (Spiked Milfoil) another good British Native oxygenating plant that likes less deep water. Drop into deep water area
- Myosotis scorpioides (Forget me not) shallow rafting British Native shelf pond plant for newts to lay eggs in. Place basket on shallow pond shelf for frogs as support during mating.
- Rorippa nasturtium aquaticum (Water Cress) shallow rafting shelf pond plant for newts to lay eggs in. Place basket on shallow pond shelf for frogs as support during mating.
- Caltha palustris (Marsh Marigold) first shelf pond plant to flower in Spring. Place basket on shallow pond shelf for frogs as support during mating.
- Iris versicolor May flowering Iris for flower colour for early pollinating insects & leaves for dragonfly emergence. Place basket on shallow pond shelf.
- Anemopsis californica (Yerba mensa) Chosen because its flower is an unusual shape and has a fragrance of honey. Place basket on shallow pond shelf for frogs as support during mating..
- Lythrum salicaria (Loosestrife) Chosen for reliable flowers for pollinators in July and stems for dragonfly emergence. Place basket on medium depth pond shelf.
- Mentha cervina alba (Water Spearmint) Flowers in July/August after most British Native plants have flowered. Good for insect pollinators. Place basket on shallow pond shelf.
- Pontederia cordata (Pickerel Weed) Flowers in August/September - beloved by Bumble Bees. Place basket on medium depth pond shelf.
- Nymphaea (Waterlilies) Surface cover over the pond for shade and wildlife protection. Miniature, Dwarf or Pond sized waterlilies - one will suit your pond size. Flowers in June - September. Place basket in deep water area.
- Aponogeton distachyos (Water Hawthorn) Surface cover and flowers in March - May. Place basket in deep water area.
For more help in choosing the best pond plants for your size of pond try one of our Pond Planting Schemes. You just need to know the surface area size of your pond.
We choose a combination of pond plants best suited to you.
- We do the choosing of a range of pond plants so that you get a balanced selection in your scheme.
- You can choose to have your Pond Planting Scheme as either a selection of 'Only British Native plants’, ‘Mainly British Native' plants or ‘Any' plants available on the website.
- A scheme provides you with:
- oxygenating plants
- decorative marginal plants for the different depth shelf areas of both upright and rafting shelf plants for a range of wildlife
- waterlily for the deeper water section (in scheme sizes 2-5)
We plan the schemes to encourage many types of wildlife to visit the pond.