Best small pond plants to give seasonal variety in a wildlife pond:
Choose from this list of small pond plants for a Mainly British Native plants scheme in a small wildlife pond.
- Ceratophyllum demersum Hornwort and/or Myriophyllum spicatum Spiked Milfoil as submerged oxygenating plant
- Caltha palustris Marsh Marigold in 11cm Mesh basket
- Iris versicolor Purple Iris, Iris versicolor Mysterious Monique or Lythrum salicaria Loosestrife in 11cm Mesh basket
- Mentha cervina alba or Mentha cervina Spearmint in white or blue in 11cm Mesh basket
- Pontederia cordata or Pontederia cordata albiflora(white) Pickerel Weed in 11cm Mesh basket
- Ranunculus flammula Water Buttercup or Anemopsis californica in 11cm Mesh basket
- Typha minima Miniature Bulrush, Juncus ensifolius Swordleaf Rush or Equisetum scirpoides in 11cm Mesh basket
- Myosotis scorpioides or Myosotis scorpioides alba Forget me Not in blue or white in 9cm Mesh basket
- Veronica beccabunga Brooklime or Myriophyllum Red Stem Red Stem Milfoil in 9cm Mesh basket
- Aponogeton distachyos Water Hawthorn for deep water
- Dwarf waterlily candida for the pond 1-2m2
- Nymphaea odorata alba Waterlily in 15cm Mesh basket for a white waterlily for a small pond
For a small pond 2-4m2 ie. 1mx2m or 2mx2m in size choose:
Choose small pond plants for a 1-1.9m surface area pond :
2 oxygenating plants, 4 of the 11cm mesh basket pond plants and 2 of the 9cm mesh basket pond plants. For surface cover for slightly deeper water go for a dwarf waterlily like candida in white or Xia Fei in red.
For a container patio pond or Butlers sink pond less than 1m2 choose:
1 oxygenating plant and 4 other plants with at least 1 in 11cm Mesh basket and 1 in 9cm Mesh basket. In a sunny site use a Miniature waterlily.
If you cannot decide then use our Pond Planting Schemes 1 or 2 or our Container pond planting Schemes all found on the Planting Schemes page.
All our plants (other than the bareroot oxygenating plants that you drop into the water to find their own depth) are sent from us already rooted in the mesh basket and correct aquatic soil so that you can place them immediately into your pond or water feature. You do not need to buy baskets or aquatic soil.