Need the right size of waterlilies to add more surface cover to your pond?
- Waterlilies are the favourite surface cover plants for a pond because of their colourful flowers in Summer.
- The aim is to cover half to two thirds of the pond surface in Summer with plant growth.
- This keeps the water cooler and shaded below the surface to help avoid blanketweed and algae.
- Choose the size of waterlily that will achieve this spread in about 3 years.
- Water lilies are available in sizes ranging from Miniature through to large Pond waterlilies for larger ponds.
- The Miniature waterlilies are suitable for a barrel pond or very small pond. The whole plant may only get to the size of a side plate.
- Each leaf only 3cm(1 inch) wide.
- Dwarf waterlilies are slightly larger in spread across the pond surface with each leaf around 6cm(2-3 inches) wide.
- The larger Pond waterlilies can have a single leaf from 4'" to one that reaches the size of a dinner plate.
- There is only one British Native waterlily which is Nymphaea alba. This is a white waterlily and a plant can spread to 2m across.
Waterlily Water Depth:
- Each size of waterlily will grow in a different depth of water so make sure you take this into account when choosing which variety you want.
- All waterlilies need to have the top of the basket placed below potential ice level in the water.
- Miniatures need a maximum 15cm(6 inches) of water over the top of the basket.
- Dwarf waterlilies will accept 25cm(10 inches) of water over the basket.
- Pond waterlilies are in 2 categories (growing in 15cm and 23cm baskets respectively) - those with under the image are less vigorous in spread and grow with less water over the basket than a waterlily which could, eventually, reach a metre deep.
- Miniature Waterlilies -
- Dwarf Waterlilies -
- Pond Waterlilies -
Additional Feed -
- Waterlilies will benefit from being fed twice a year. Once in early Spring and again mid-Summer.
- Choose the XL Aquatic feed ball for larger waterlilies sent in 23cm(9inch) round baskets
- Use Feed balls for Aquatic plants for smaller waterlilies sent in 11cm square baskets.
- You can also use these smaller feed balls in all your other flowering Pond Plants in 11cm baskets.
- Push the Aquatic feed ball into the compost of the basket to give their flowering and growth a boost.