Planting a new pond:
The weather is warm and damp at night.
- Frogs and toads are starting to travel back to water to mate now.
- You need to give them the plants they need to create the right habitat.
We can send out our Planting Schemes with all the different types of plants you need to plant a new pond quickly and easily.
- Set up your new pond and fill it with rainwater.
- Put some plants in your pond as soon as it is filled with water.
- Ponds without plants can quickly become unbalanced.
- Use a barley straw product - either Barleystraw minibales or Barley Bio Algae Control for the smaller pond.
For a new pond you need:
- submerged oxygenating plants - easy planting - bareroot portions or bunches dropped into the water to find their own way.
- Shelf Pond plants for the shelf or ledge areas potted for you in 9cm or 11cm mesh baskets & aquatic soil.
- Pond plants have specific depth requirements and your shelf levels should be built into the shell of your pond. Most being Shelf options 13-15cm/5-6" & 15-22cm/6-9" depth .
- Waterlilies of various sizes of spread and depth are available from 10-30" (25-80cm), depth .
Prepared Planting Schemes:
|Pond size in sq m
|Pond size in sq ft
|Go to Pond Scheme
|1 - 2
|9 - 20
|2 - 3.9
|21 - 41
|4 - 6.9
|43 - 65
|7 - 14.9
|75 - 160
|15 - 25
|162 - 236
- If you have a new pond needing plants now - pick a Pond Planting Scheme.
- Choose the correct Scheme for the surface area size of your pond.
- We will put together a pond planting starter kit that caters for all the different depth pond areas for you.
- You can choose whether we pick 'British Native', 'Mainly British Native' plants or 'Any plant'.
- It will include deep water oxygenating plants, deeper water surface cover plants (except Pond Planting Scheme 1) and marginal shelf plants.
- These will meet a combination of wildlife needs - rafting plants across the water surface for newts, frogs & toads. Emergent, upright plants for dragonflies & flowers across the season for insect pollinators.
With our ready rooted pond plants we can send out by mail order most of the year. We only stop when the ice is on our troughs in the Nursery.
- Our plants are already in their mesh baskets & aquatic clay soil - ready to move to your pond now.
- They have been outside in our Nursery troughs in Leicestershire so are Winter hardy.
- The plants are rooted through the mesh basket already but may not show shoot growth above the soil yet.
- We have bareroot Ceratophyllum demersum Oxygenating Plants as well as 9cm baskets of Myriophyllum Red Stem available.
- There is no need to delay. If you plant now they will be in your local climate and able to grow on in Spring whenever that arrives in your area.
- If you are still having cold Winter weather but would like to order now please tell us your preferred date of delivery in General Comments as you go through Checkout and that will supersede the automated date on your order confirmation.
For more information see our Tips and Advice pages: How to plant a pond