Setting up a new pond you will need:
- oxygenating plants
- waterlilies and other surface cover plants
- upright plants for the shelves
- rafting plants for the shelves
Purchase sufficient quantities of each type of plant by looking at the individual pages of the website and selecting the ones you like.
- Oxygenating Plants should be planted at 2 portions per m2 of surface area
- Waterlilies are chosen by the depth of water available
- Shelf Plants are chosen by shelf depth available in your pond and as:
- upright plants - stems and flowers rising up out of the water
- rafting plants - horizontally growing along the water surface
Use our Planting Schemes pageto get the right Starter Kit of plants from us:
We have already planned the requirements to set up each pond size. All you need to know is the surface area of your pond.
|Pond size in sq m||Pond size in sq ft||Go to Pond Scheme|
|1 - 2||9 - 20||size 1|
|2 - 3.9||21 - 41||size 2|
|4 - 6.9||43 - 65||size 3|
|7 - 14.9||75 - 160||size 4|
|15 - 25||162 - 236||size 5|
- We select the number and choice of plants you need based on the size of your surface area.
- We select the best combination of plants available to give a balanced selection for all areas of the water.
- This includes interest in foliage and flower throughout the season.
- We consider different wildlife habitats - rafting shelf plants for newts, upright shelf plants for dragonflies, flowering plants for insect pollinators.
You can choose whether to have either:
- 'Mainly British Native plants' - allows us to add some Non Natives to extend flower and interest
- 'British Native plants only' - restricts the season of interest but is important to some customers
- 'Any plant' in our range - allows more colour from waterlilies and flowers and can include British Native plants too