Barleystraw products as organic blanketweed control:
Organic blanketweed control in wildlife ponds uses organically grown barley straw grown with no pesticides:
- Available either as the straw itself (Barleystraw minibales) or the liquid concentrate (Barley Bio Algae Control) for a smaller water area.
- Barleystraw products work by inhibiting the algae growth not by killing it.
- These products are safe for fish, wildlife, pets and children.
Avoid chemical products in the pond water:
- They can clear your pond of helpful enzymes and bacteria.
- This leaves the pond dependent on regular, ongoing, expensive chemical treatments.
- Many products claim to kill blanketweed and algae.
- They will kill the blanketweed and then reduce it to sludge on the pond base.
- This gives a high nutrient level in the pond water (like compost does).
- The high level of nutrients will encourage & feed the next wave of blanketweed.
- The chemical killer will not remove the sludge from the pond or attempt to balance the pond ecosystem for the wildlife like the organic blanketweed control methods will.
- Beware - chemicals could harm or inhibit the growth of your pond plants too.
You will also need the correct balance of planting in your wildlife pond.