Use a support grid as a shelf to position the plant baskets in the container pond:
You need to create some form of shelving to be able to position the plant baskets at the correct depth within the container pond.
For our round bowl shaped fibreglass containers we can provide a Plant support ring that sits in the container so that the rim of the basket and the crown of the plant are situated approx 5cm (1″ – 2″) below the water surface.
60cm container pond:
- Place any pygmaea or miniature waterlily on the container base and the leaves will grow up through the grid to the surface.
- Place the waterlily in the container before installing the support ring
- Add the oxygenating plants to the water
- Add support ring
- Locate the 11cm plant baskets in the squared grid of the Plant support ring
- Basket will be firmly located and tall plants will not blow over in the wind.
- Smaller 9cm baskets will locate in the ‘non-square’ positions in the support ring.
80cm container pond:
- Use a dwarf waterlily to sit on the base of the container below the support grid
- Add oxygenating plants to the water
- The 80cm container pond has a support ring with extension bars attached with cable ties.
- Put the support ring inside the container rim with the extension bars closed
- Pull the 4 extension bars out sideways by 4cm (1 1/2″) each to allow the ring to sit higher in the container.
- When the ring is sited correctly the top of the plant basket located in it should be 5cm (2″) below the expected water level.
- Tighten the cable ties securely when in the correct position.
If you plan to use only waterlilies in your 60 or 80cm container pond you will need oxygenating plants too but will not require a support ring.
98cm container pond:
- This has no plant support ring to go with it.
- We recommend you plant this bigger container pond with Pond waterlilies placed on the base of the container and oxygenating plants.
If you are using another container (not ours):
- any other container that you decide to use for a miniature patio pond will need some form of ‘engineering’ to enable you to place and keep the plants at their preferred depths and our round support rings may not work for you
- the depth of the container may be wrong for the waterlily you want – check the depth of the container – the plant may need raising